Friday, February 8, 2008

Attitude Adjustment

Friday! It's Friday!!
I (kk) thought I'd never be a person who worked for the weekend....yet, here I am.....cheering it on. I think there are a few people in the world that have a job that isn't work, David is one of them. He would do "weather" for free....and basically did while he was in Kansas. I, on the other hand, work for a living. Occasionally, I find inspiration & enjoy a project or two. The main difference is..... I truly believe God made MAN different than WOMAN. God made man the hunter, the gatherer....the provider of his family. You can't tell me that men don't love killing a deer or bringing home a fat turkey. The sense of self-fulfillment is evident. "ME MAN, ME BRING MEAT!!" Laugh, but it's true. Yet, here I am....in a role that goes against my creation. Now don't misunderstand me. Proverbs 31 clearly spells out that a virtuous woman is a good business woman. However, I believe the intent of that woman is to take care of her family, to add respect and favor to her husband. For all you single women, single mothers, and like me...women who are the main bread-winners of your family...I have discovered the secret to a good attitude.
I find much more contentment in taking care of David than the actual process of "working." When I focus on how I was created, as a helpmate....I am much more content. However, it is very easy to feel the burden of "hunter/gatherer" when you focus on the actual labor. I won't say I am always successful in this line of thinking. Nevertheless, when I do think it.. peace instantly ensues. I do look forward to a time when the burden will be shared. Regardless, the point [Sisters] is to be joyful where you are at... and to realize we were created to care for our family and friends... whether we are a stay-at-home mom....or a two-job "workin for the weekend" woman.

A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.

She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

She sets about her work vigorously;

her arms are strong for her tasks.
She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.

When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.

She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
"Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
Proverbs 31:10-31


This passage talks about all the things a wife/a woman does for her family. She is a hard worker. She provides food, clothing, and wealth to her family. It speaks of her work, her tasks. Isn't it interesting that other than the work she does for her family and friends....is that she "laughs at the days to come" and "speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction"?! She has gained wisdom thru her hard work. She doesn't have to worry about the future because of her hardwork...and she can encourage others with her faithful perseverance. I want to be this woman. She's not asking for praise in what she does (I know I want it sometimes), and because of that she receives it. It's not the spinning of the wool that drives her/or gives her joy....it's in seeing the warmth it provdes her family.

LaLa asked me to post a devotional every so often. So, this was my first attempt. I know that most women have memorized this passage... but it still never gets old. For me, I gain something new each time I read it. I have been studying attitudes lately in my devotions. There are so many other passages that reveal much to attitudes. Yet, what I love about the Word is how you not only can see what is written but what is not written. This noble wife did not have a bad attitude. She was focused on the right things, with the right attitude.

1 comment:

Gibbarella said...

Two jobs? I thought DeWerks shut down? He, he. Love you K-rin and this was a good devotion, thanks. Sometimes I am looking for a little acknowledgement as well but I seem to get it when I am doing what I enjoy and not looking for it. I think our occupation is just frustrating at this point of our career. Stick in there.