Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Meaningless Toiling

My quiet time this morning was in Ecclesiastes 2. I’ve been in an Ecclesiastical mood for the past several days……you know, the ALL IS MEANINGLESS!!

11 Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
and what I had toiled to achieve,
everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
nothing was gained under the sun.


22 What do people get for all the toil and anxious striving with which they labor under the sun? 23 All their days their work is grief and pain; even at night their minds do not rest. This too is meaningless.

24 A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own toil. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, 25 for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?

I guess the summation for me is, you must toil & labor for something that brings enjoyment. That’s what the Lord wants from us. He doesn’t want us to toil & labor for someone else’s enjoyment……but for us to bring Him glory now. I say this with trepidation because the first part of Eccl. 2 talks about indulging in all your desires. We aren’t called to that either, but we should toil in things that bring enjoyment.

Pray that God would cleanse my pitiful excuse for an attitude & bring about new joy & meaning to my life. That His full purpose for me & my family would be realized & glorified.

No comments: