Monday, January 9, 2012

A Call for Self-Reflection

A Call for Self-Reflection. This was the challenge that was made to a special gathering of worship & study last night. Too often, we think of others for their need of growth & neglect our own.

How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.” Luke 6:42

I do this too often, whether I voice it or not. I will admit it has been an even bigger challenge now that I work in a workplace primarily of women. Gossip & slander appear at every interval. Oh how deep are the caverns of which we fall into darkness…….such a slippery slope.

A few months ago, I challenged myself to not saying ANYTHING critical of my husband for a month. Not even a “you forgot to put the trash out to be collected”……..nothing. Oh wow, challenging is definitely not an adequate description of what that month was. While, to David: it was the brightest & easiest month of our entire marriage. I was hoping that I had broken that bad habit & that it would begin to reign in a new season of our marriage. Oh but it only takes once or twice to see a fault here or there & “poof” you are back to where you were.

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.” Ephesians 4:30

Oh brother, am I tremendously guilty of grieving the Holy Spirit!! It is a daily struggle to work out my personal walk with Christ with my eye continually on the prize & not my own selfish ways.

Thankfully, I serve a merciful God.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9

2 comments:

Beverly Wooley said...

Wasn't that message wonderful? It was sure food for my soul! I pulled up the original Chas. Finney sermon from 1850 and am still working my way through it asking the Lord, have I grieved You this way? One thing I had not considered before ... grieving as deeply as I had been and focusing on my grief instead of God, was quenching the Holy Spirit from being the Comforter to me that He was sent to be!

k-rin & day-vid said...

I have been reading thru the original sermon too Beverly. Oh to be able to sit at the feet of such wonderful teachers. You can even find a clip of Joyce Meyer speaking on this same issue on youtube.