Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Loss of a True Kindred Spirit

This weekend, I lost a dear friend of mine(kk). A true kindred spirit.

In college, you are surrounded by people that think like you, talk like you and live life like you. However, in the “real” world your college friends are scattered to the wind & you can’t find that type of comradery very easily. Kenneth (who I affectionately called “K”) was my sweet compatriot here. We both loved art, history, preservation, the outdoors, traveling, and have completely silly senses of humor. We were each other’s cheer leaders, when we needed it ……..& we could give each other kicks in the pants when we needed it too. He had been the director of the Oren Dunn museum for almost 10 years, and was a plethora of information on all things Tupelo….when I needed a good history lesson. He let me dive into the secret vaults and interrupt his busy day with a quick bite at some of our favorite stomping grounds. I’m grateful to have had him in my life.

I share this for one reason, one reason only. He died senselessly and alone.

The last several months, he pushed all his friends and loved ones away. He was suffering from depression and several other tragic circumstances. I tried to reach out to him, but he was stubborn and wouldn’t let anyone in to see or talk with him. I had relinquished to try to leave him notes and messages, in hopes of a return phone call. I had no idea the depths of which he had fallen. I will forever regret not trying harder to reach my sweet friend. I pray sweet peace over his family that is suffering in ways that only the Lord can heal. I pray for the Lord to help me forgive myself and other friends that are suffering the same regrets.

“My lyre is tuned to mourning, and my pipe to the sound of wailing.” Job 30: 31
This verse is really my heart cry today. However, I am grateful that Job’s anguish (which is certainly more that I could imagine), is redeemed. I have hope that I will meet my friend again one day in eternity. I want to remember only the sweet fellowship that we had and look forward to that day. I want to rest in knowing that he is sitting at the feet of Jesus and he suffers no more. I want to rest in knowing that he was NEVER ALONE. For I know my Redeemer was holding his hand even in his darkest hour.

No comments: