Thursday, June 12, 2008

VBS

VBS (Vacation Bible School) is this week!! I have the privilege to teach missions… something, if you know me……know that it's something that I truly have a passion for!! I left a part of my heart on the other side of the world (Ukraine) a few years back. I know that missions will always be a part of my life…… I love new languages and cultures. (David too... he's been to Haiti & Honduras on missions!!) My Russian is getting pretty rusty around these parts. I’ve only met one person here that I’ve been able to converse in Russian with. I guess for all practical purposes, Spanish would have been a good language to invest some time in!! Okay, back to the kids…… oh, the kids are great. I have 1 yr olds to 12 yr olds!! My lessons are geared toward the older kids……so, the younger ones are a bit trickier. I must admit, I’m plain pooped by the time I get home. Although, all day at work……I have our VBS theme song running through my head.
The kids are learning a lot about different “islands” of the world. I feel like a geography teacher…..(which is truly more David’s forte……he kicks my tail on the geography section of Trivial Pursuit). Our lessons are pretty short, so creativity has to play a role in it. I’m definitely not a gifted teacher like so many of the other workers (that are in fact teachers), but I do love to see the children smile as they soak up things of God. Even some neighborhood kids have come to VBS this week (two of which I mentioned in an earlier post). They are precious!!

I don’t work with kids much anymore (I know & I was a nanny in college!!.. not to mention the 2 daycares I worked at!!). It’s a strange place to be right now……if you have kids =then you’re involved with the kids. If you don’t have kids, then somehow you aren’t involved. I think David & I feel like lepers sometimes at church b/c we don’t have little ones. I guess a young couple like us without kids… it’s just plain crazy in the South.

Our church covets your prayers this week. So many children come to know the Lord through VBS. We hope that many will come to find Jesus as Savior & Lord!!!

But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Luke 18:16 NIV

No comments: